¡Bienvenidos!

Hiya!
Here will be the spot for brief expressions of
any notion I fancy..albeit traditional entries,
poems, pics, videos, etc! I am here for your
entertainment, but if that doesn't happen,
default to facebook. :P
Enjoy.

2.03.2010

Life is one big CAMPing trip

Hey, sorry its been a while but I have been keeping myself busy! Intentionally.  I started volunteering at CAMP this past week and am loving it so far.  I worked there when I was in middle school back with Mrs. McPhereson at Garrett.  She was so awesome with instilling that willingness to work for society in us early on.  Well, now I'm the 'oldest' there at CAMP..11 years, wow.  But  they are doing so well now! Very organized and they have a system for everything.  Who would have thought the hungry could get birthday cakes on their birthday (all donated food from stores, people, and govt)! Awesome! I was especially proud of myself because we had a diabetic couple come in who needed wheat instead of white bread because they fill white with sweeteners and sugar..well, we were out of wheat bread, but I tracked down and analyzed the ingredients on a few loaves of Publix Italian Hearth bread that has 0 sugar!! yay :) So I have made myself quite comfortable going there..its nice to chill and grocery shop for people that can't do it for themselves.  and they are the sweetest, most polite people! So heartwarming.  Even the ones who cannot bring themselves to say thanks (be it due to embarrassment, pride, what have you), its visible on their faces and demeanor how much they need it and how much of a hole it fills in them at that moment.

Besides doing that, I picked up a bunch of applications for part time jobs at the mall..I don't really expect to have any luck right away, but I hope something decent will pop up since the mall is on my way back and forth to school and I'm there a lot anyway, it'd be something to do and get paid for :)

Then there's school, doing group presentations and projects so trying to stay on top of all that and incorporate everyone's ideas adequately.  We will be presenting on my birthday, and its also another girl's birthday in my group..so weird.  Oh, and then we'll also get our tests that day to start working on..and this is all monday after super bowl sunday in which the Saints!!! are playing..will be a busy couple of days, that's for sure.

On a more philosophical note, I was reading the Narcissism Epidemic today and a lot of things struck me about how our generation is spoiled rotten and that we are TOLD we are great and BELIEVE we are great, but we actually aren't PROVEN to be great statistically, in fact we are worse.  The book hit on blogging too..but I really don't assume that anyone cares, except my close friends.  This is more of a way for me to keep track so when I'm 80 I can go back and see my thinking process from now.  But it made me think about the different low points in the past and how that disappointment I had for whatever reason was usually due to something in which I felt that I was totally fine, if not BEST at doing :( But its so easy to see and fix when the book addresses it like it did.  It basically said that if you are told you are gifted at something, you believe it and feel confident in it, but in reality are making no improvement or are not very gifted to begin with.  They did a survey that said that the most narcissistic people were not any better looking or accomplished than most, in fact some were worse! lol.  And how Asian cultures do not even have a word for self-esteem, but rather focus on the group good, not the individual.  Interesting, to the point of making me check certain behaviors.  I love learning :)

1 comment:

  1. Aw I'm glad you're enjoying your volunteering! I know how much you love to help people. School sounds like it's going to be busy for a while (for me too but tis life I suppose). Interesting stuff seems to be going on in that book of yours...hmm kinda makes you think.

    ReplyDelete